Welcome to Under the Covers, Laura! We’re thrilled to have you here for the first time and get a little nosy. Tell us 5 things about yourself that we wouldn’t normally know.
Oh man, you asked for it! I’m a bit…different.
- I rode 100,000 miles behind my husband on his motorcycle before learning to ride my own. I now have over 100,000 miles on my two BMW’s: Elvis and Sting. I fell in love with the West from a motorcycle seat!
- I grew up outside Detroit until one winter, sick of the slush in April, my sister and I packed up our Pintos (cars, not horses) and moved to California, sight unseen. I lived there for thirty years, until I moved to Texas five years ago. Living the dream!
- I lost my sister to cancer at 32. I vowed that from then on, I’d live for us both. I’m now twice the age she was when she died, so to honor her memory, I’m rappelling of the highest building in my town on November 30. Wish me luck!
- I’m bull riding’s biggest fan. I’ve been to more than ten events, four world finals (just bought tickets for next year!) and I even attended a bull riding clinic! If my husband wouldn’t have been there to stop me, I’d have gotten on one!
- One of my other passions is fly fishing. Two girlfriends and I go on a fishing trip every year. Last year, an hour down a dirt road, in the middle of Nowhere, Oregon, I stepped in a hole and snapped both bones of my lower right leg. They had to send a Sherriff’s boat down the river, to ferry me to an ambulance. After surgery inserting a plate, wire and 13 screws, I’m now ready for my next trip!
We have been huge fans of cowboy romances for a while and are looking forward to diving into your Chestnut Creek series. How would you summarize THE LAST TRUE COWBOY in a tweet?
Carly and Austin fell in love in first grade. Like two jigsaw pieces, they snapped together, and they never have come undone. Until now. This time, she means it.
What is the core idea behind the Chestnut Creek series?
Love happens everywhere; even in an odd small town of Unforgiven, New Mexico.
What would you say is your favorite thing about cowboys and cowboy romance books?
Just one? Can that even be done? Okay then, it’s not the polite, gentlemanly manners. Not the strong moral code. Not the alpha males who know how to treat a lady. All those are great, of course, but for me:
It’s the Wranglers in chaps.
How many books can we expect in this series?
Three, to start. Then, if readers fall in love with Unforgiven as much as I have….no telling!
Describe Carly and Austin in 3 words each.
Carly: Rodeo-queen, old-fashioned, small-town-girl.
Austin: Sexy, loyal rough-stock rider.
If you could pick a theme song for Carly and Austin, what would it be?
Oh, that’s easy, because this song is what gave me the idea for the book! Carly Simon’s Jessie. It’s about longing for, and not being able to resist, what you know is not good for you.
What’s your ideal scenery while you’re writing? Pictures of your writing space welcome!
A picture of the lonesome country which is the book’s setting.
What’s next for Laura Drake?
Working on a proposal for a series – three retired bull riders start a Bison Ranch. What could go wrong?
Thanks so much for sharing with us today!
Thank you for having me – such fun questions!
Available December 4, 2018!
[new-release title=”The Last True Cowboy” author=”Laura Drake”]
READING ORDER & BUY LINKS
Forever Romance is graciously giving away
Cowboy of the Month
Two winners will each receive the following books:
Luckiest Cowboy of All by Carolyn Brown
Second Chance Cowboy by AJ Pine
Cowboy Bold by Carolyn Brown
Cowboy on my Mind by RC Ryan
True-Blue Cowboy by Sara Richardson
Tough Luck Cowboy by AJ Pine
Cowboy Honor by Carolyn Brown
Big Bad Cowboy by Carly Bloom
The Last True Cowboy by Laura Drake
♡ Don’t want to miss any of our posts? ♡