- The Duet! Consequence was never supposed to exist. I had planned to write a standalone book called Constant and wrap it up in one epic romance. But as soon as I got into the bratva world and Caro and Sayer’s history, I knew the story would need more room, more words. And so Constant became The Confidence Game Duet and Consequence got to happen! Until this duology, I had never written a duet before. It’s my new favorite thing. I’m going to need to write more of them soon. I loved the quickness of the series, but the extra room to dive deeper into this suspenseful world.
- The quaint Colorado setting! The town setting of Frisco came out of a family vacay last summer. I fell in love with the idyllic little town and was absolutely inspired by its chill main street lined with shops and downhome diners. The mountains rising on either side made it the perfect place for Caro to hide. And the charming atmosphere gave life to this story.
- Sweet Caroline! Caroline is named after the Neil Diamond hit, Sweet Caroline(Ba ba baaaa!). So basically the song played through my head nonstop for nine months. And yet, I still love the dang song. Juliet, her daughter, was also named after a Neil Diamond song, Sweet Juliet. But it’s less catchy and doesn’t make me sing “So good, so good!” at the top of my lungs and wish I could live at a piano bar.
- Sayer’s cars! I’m not a car person. At all. So I have to borrow from my husband who is absolutely a car person. In Frisco, Sayer drives a Jeep, which was inspired by my brother-in-law’s old Jeep. He’s a bit of a mountain man, so it seemed to fit. And Sayer’s DC car was inspired by my husband’s most recent vehicle, a 2017 Dodge Charge Daytona, which is basically his pride and joy and second love of his life. At least I tell myself it’s his second love… you know, so I don’t get jealous.
- Cherry Coke! Caro loves Cherry Coke, which was inspired by my own addiction. She also struggles with giving it up constantly… And yeah, that might be my real life too.
- Romantic Suspense! This was my first ever romantic suspense. I had never written one before. And as my beta reader told me the romance was stressing her out, I had to admit that I put suspense into every aspect of the book. Even the love story! I felt it was my job to keep the reader on the edge of their seat from start to finish. Lol!
- Nods to other books! Sayer’s restaurant and Caro’s love of art is a nod to another book series of mine, The Opposites Attract series. One of my favorite things to do as an author is drop little bits and pieces of my other books into the book I’m currently writing. The human trafficking aspect that Caroline hates so much is a nod to another series of mine, The Siren Series. But it is also an issue I’m incredibly passionate about irradiating.
- Themes! I tried to weave the confidence game theme into as much of the book as I could. Even the titles Constant and Consequence begin with the word “Con.” I loved writing about the different layers of running scams and enjoyed putting every aspect of the book.
- Young Love! Sayer and Caroline are one of my favorite love stories ever. I adored their young romance and how it evolved and matured through time, but never lost its intensity. My husband and I are high school sweethearts and we’ve known each other since we were seven. I’ve wanted to write about a long, enduring love like this for a while. It was so fun to bring Caroline and Sayer to life and add in all the angst and drama that comes with young love at the same time giving them a healthier, more mature version later on in life.
- Side Characters? I’m a big believer in giving my side characters lives of their own. Frankie is a strong, independent woman on her own journey to freedom and healing. But at the core of her is a perfect best friend for Caro, that walks alongside her in their crazy life, sharing the immense burdens of running from a crime syndicate and raising a child and helping Caro and Juliet carve out a better, more peaceful life. Both Constant and Consequence are dedicated to two of my best friends, because they’re women that do the same for me. Obviously, I’m not running from the Russian mob, but I do need friends that are brave enough to speak truth into my life and hold my hand as I struggle with the day to day difficulties. And I think that’s true for all of us. We all need strong friendships that help us handle the tough things and offer good advice when we need it. If love is the main theme of this book, friendship is the second.
Available February 27, 2018!
by Rachel Higginson
Released: February 27 2018
Series: The Confidence Game #2
Published by Self Published
Consequence, the conclusion to Sayer and Caroline’s epic love story
Five years ago, I escaped a dangerous life I had always wanted to leave. I got away. I found freedom. But it cost me the love of my life.
For five years I lived in hiding, protecting my most valuable secret while Sayer Wesley sat in prison paying for both our sins. I promised to love him forever. I promised to never leave him.
I broke my promises.
Five months ago Sayer found me.
Five weeks ago, I was forced to face my past.
Five days ago, someone took my daughter. They kidnapped her in order to make Sayer and me suffer. I will do anything to get her back. Even if that means coming clean to Sayer, letting him into my life and introducing him to our daughter.
All I wanted was to protect her from this life and now she’s right in the middle of the chaos. Sayer is the only one that can help me. He’s the only one that can get her back.
But it might mean losing him again.
Fifteen years ago, I fell in love with Sayer Wesley. Now I must pay the consequences for falling in love with a con man.
Under the Covers is graciously giving away
ebook copy of CONSTANT (book 1) by Rachel Higginson
♡ Don’t want to miss any of our posts? ♡
Latest posts by Under the Covers Book Blog (see all)
- New Releases for September 17, 2019 - September 17, 2019
- Five Drinks to Write With by Hailey Turner + Giveaway - September 16, 2019
- New Releases for September 10, 2019 - September 10, 2019