*rubs hands together*
It’s finally come to that time of year, we can whip our credit cards out without impunity and go on some guilt-free shopping sprees…after all it’s Christmas. Along with being able to eat chocolate for breakfast without being judged as a gluttonous devil, going on a socially acceptable shopping spree is one of my favourite perks of December.
But now comes the pleasureable agony, what do you buy for your nearest and dearest? Well, you can’t say Under the Covers isn’t being helpful, just for you, we’ve gone on a voyage of discovery to find you the best gifts for this Christmas to be a bit more creative than just … well … books! We’ve navigated the treacherous aisles of over crowded shops, the terrors of internet shopping and now have carts both literally and virtually packed full of more gifts than we know what to do with.
I’m going to start off with something I personally put on my Christmas list…but than had to cross out because I bought for myself. An A4 Light Box. I don’t know why I like it so much, I think because it reminds me of old school cinema lights. I can’t wait for it to arrive so I set it up and decide what message I want it to light up. I also can’t wait to have it in the background for my UTC vlogs sitting on my bookshelf, so make sure you keep watching us on YouTube and you will see it lit up in the back ground.
Now guys, Christmas wouldn’t be complete if you didn’t get a new pair of novelty socks. I love socks, it’s a strange fetish of mine that has developed over the years, and one that I try and evoke in others – mainly by giving socks as a gift for all occasions. Christmastime has the BEST socks; pretty ones, novelty ones, colourful ones, cute ones, fluffy ones…I love them all.
I’ve already mentioned chocolate in this post…and I fully expect chocolate with every gift I get. If I don’t get it, I get a little sulky. It’s Christmas, one of the few times of year where I eat chocolate without one iota of guilt (the other times being my birthday, Easter….most Friday nights) so if you’re gonna send me a gift, you better not forget the cocoa. Here are some of my all time favourites:
1. Lindt Reindeer – Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas if I didn’t eat Rudolph and Co in chocolate form!
2. Ferreo Rocher – Can anyone else go through the whole box and still have room for another (box)?
3. Mint Chocolates – My favourite brand is Thorntons, especially their peppermint creams…cos after a big Christmas dinner it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t scoff down a few,
4. Cadbury’s – I saw this on Amazon and it made me think of my American buddies, it has all my favourie chocolates in it from the UK, especially the Crunchie, Star Bar and Curly Wurly!
5. Lindor – I know I have already mentioned Lindt already in this list, but it bears repeating…I LOVE Lindor, the best ones are the dark chocolate, hazelnut and the coconut ones.
With the new year approaching it’s the perfect time to start a diary and they always have some beautiful ones out this time of year. And soooo many varieties, Francesca and Angela would be able to tell you about all the different planner stuff, me? I have good intentions….but organisation isn’t always my strong point. However, that doesn’t stop me loving a brand new diary, if nothing else it will look pretty on my desk! I’ve been perusing the beautiful ‘net and have fell in love with these:
1. Dodo Pad 2017 – Love Dodo pads! They are so quirky and fun, definitely a great gift for someone who likes something a bit different.
2. Moleskin Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland – I LOVE this limited edition of Alice in Wonderland Moleskin notepads! They have a few different ones and they are all so pretty…gimme gimme gimme.
3. The Left-Hander’s 2017 Calendar – This is a calendar and not a diary, but it’s such a great idea. Some of my family is lefthanded and I know they would love it…’added to cart’
4. Reading Journal for Book Lovers – This is packed with fun spreads throughout the journal, along with pages for your notes on books you read.
It’s all fun and games until you make your grandma cry…but that’s just the dog eat dog world of Monopoly and if you aren’t prepared for me to take you for all you’re worth or throw a hissy fit if I don’t win, then clearly you haven’t spent Christmas with me. I kid you (kinda) but I do get a tiny bit competitive, so much so that Cluedo has been banned from my house for the last 5 years due to one spectacular loss. But, if you are more sane than me whilst playing games, Christmas is the best time to pull out your favourites and have some good old fashioned fun with friends and family. Here are some of the games I can highly recommend:
1. Cards Against Humanity – Okay, so this isn’t the most family friendly game…but it’s absolutely hilarious. Especially with a few drinks, it practically guarantees you a hilarious night.
2. Monopoly – It’s a classic, and there are so many versions of it, even though the game play is the same. It’s also a great personality test, it brings out the best and worst (that’s me!) in everyone.
3. Cards – There are so many games you can play with a pack of cards, it’s always worth having a few packs hanging around at Christmas.
4. Ticket to Ride – I love this game! A friend introduced this to me a while ago and I became addicted. Like all good games it’s a simple concept, yet I find it completely enthralling.
5. Puzzles – Not strictly a board game, but hanging with your family and friends round a puzzle is a great time to just chill out and relax with as much or little conversation as you wish. I love a Wasgij puzzle, it adds that extra challenge! Of course I then found THIS ONE and it’s perfect for all us book lovers.
We are all book lovers here, so chances are you know a few other people who share your love of all things fictional. But what to get them? It’s easy to get them the latest book they want, but what else? Welp, we are here to help you out.
1. Kindle – It goes without saying that all book lovers need a kindle. I love mine, I literally never leave the house without it.
2. Harry Potter’s Marauder’s Map – I assume that all book lovers love Harry Potter…if not, you can’t be a book lover! And when I saw this I knew I needed it. It looks amazing and perfect for every book lovers home
3. Bring Your Own Book Game – This is a fun game relying on your knowledge of books! Ideal for you and your pals to show off your knowledge
4. The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook – The ideal gift for those who like their mysteries and their food, which happen to be two of my favourite things.
5. Book Totes – With all the many books a book lover has, they need something stylish to carry them round in. There are sooo many nice ones around, I found it hard to just pick one, so I’ve decided to divide them up in to who I would gift these to from UTC:
Francesca: Coffee Read Nap Repeat – Saw this and instantly thought of Francesca! They also have a Tea Read Nap Repeat (which is totally me!)
Annie: Banned Books Tote – Annie is a bad ass, she would definitely read banned books
Angela: Inktastic Shakepeare Quote – Saw this and it made me think of Ang!
Suzanne (Cos I need love to!) : Virginia Woolf Quote – I love this quote! I would gladly carry it round with me.
6. Booksmarks! There are so many fun and original bookmarks you can buy now. Here’s some of our favorites: My Bookmark, Lilly Tales, Marked by Mary, Nerdy Girl Designs
7. Mugs and other bookish merchandise – one of our favorite sellers is Evie Bookish, but just browse through Society 6 and you’ll find tons of choices!
Stocking fillers! I love shopping for stocking fillers, be it for a Secret Santa or just because I need to get a few cheaper presents. So I have scouted out and these are my favourite gifts for under $15.
1. The Book Lovers Page-a-Day Calendar 2017 – Love this! I need to get it for my desk at work.
2. Colour Quest – Adult colouring is a massive thing, it’s so relaxing, perfect as a stocking gift, I personally have this one already and I love it. It’s basically colour by numbers and you don’t quite know what your are colouring till half way through.
3. Love Between the Lines – If coloring is your thing and you are a fan of romance books, then this may just have pages for a ton of your favorite novels which you can color in and even put up on your bookshelf!
4. The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook – This looks like so much fun! I love a cook book…combining it with Harry Potter, perfect!
5. Karate Post It Dispenser – This one made me giggle, perfect for a work secret santa! Personally I love the karate one, but there are a load of choices.
6. Wallet Ninja – Men. They are hard to buy for, atleast the men in my life. But, I saw this it was problem solved! It’s such a great idea. Not that it is useful for just men, not only does it look like a good gift, but it looks genuinely useful as well.
Have you got any suggestions for us? Have a great Christmas!
- Ten years of blogging and all I got was this lousy t-shirt + Giveaway - May 12, 2021
- ARC Review: Ten Things I Hate About the Duke by Loretta Chase - April 23, 2021
- ARC Review: The Truth About Dukes by Grace Burrowes - April 14, 2021