I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
by Roan Parrish
Released: September 26th 2016
Series: Middle of Somewhere #3
Published by Dreamspinner Press
“There are some things about it that worked and others still didn’t.”
~ Under the Covers
I haven’t had the best experiences reading this series as it’s been a bit of a like and not for me. However, I was interested in this couple from the first book and I just HAD to read it! There are some things about it that worked and others still didn’t.
What worked for me:
- The friendship. As much as there is an age difference (Leo is sooo young!) it was nice to see them taking the time to establish a strong friendship bond instead of jumping into a physical relationship right away.
- Character growth. This is probably more on Leo’s part I think because Will was a bit more hardheaded and set in his ways and I don’t think he really changed/opened up much. But Leo starts off this story as an impressionable 18 year old, romantic and in love. He gets dose after dose of reality and he takes those things in stride and learns the lessons he needs to in order to grow. In the end, he isn’t perfect, but he is better. And I always enjoy seeing a character evolve throughout a story.
What didn’t work:
- Sadly… Will. Not completely, I didn’t hate his character. But I found his reasoning behind why he keeps himself closed off and doesn’t want a relationship to be a bit shallow. Then his treatment of Leo at times was nothing short of callous. And I don’t think I saw a turnaround in that way of acting fast enough for me.
- Scene transitions. I had to re-read parts several times because when I thought we were still in one scene but apparently we had jumped into a different one. The scene transitions in this story are not very smooth and made the reading of this a bit bumpy and choppy.
So in the end, I’m glad I read this but I’m not sure that I will continue from here.
What did you think of our review?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment box below!
I get easily distracted by pictures of sexy guys and have tons of book boyfriends.I keep all my alpha males chained to my basement and guard them fiercely.*Back off bitches*I like to see Jason Momoa as a lot of those boyfriends, because ….. mmmmmmm JASON.MOMOA!
I’m a part time graphic designer (yes, everything you see on UTC has been done by me), run my husband's business from home and on a good day I’m a self appointed superwoman (she who can do it all).I love blogging with my girls and I couldn’t do it any other way!My first love is everything paranormal, but in the past few years I’ve re-learned to love contemporary romance.Every once in a while I like to mix things up with a historical romance, a steampunk or an LGBT book.Because I need variety to avoid book slumps.I don’t always need an HEA although I prefer one, and I love authors that can rip my heart out and make me ugly cry.
Latest posts by Francesca (see all)
- ARC Review: Now or Never by Victoria Denault - January 17, 2019
- Lifestyle: Digital Book Organization [Reading Log + Inventory] - January 16, 2019
- Book Haul + Giveaway: December 2018 - January 12, 2019