Welcome to Under the Covers, Claudia! Let’s get to know you a little better. Who is Claudia Connor? Tell us five interesting things about yourself that readers wouldn’t know about you?
Hi! Thank you so much for having me. I’m I’m really excited for the chance to meet you all and talk about my newest McKinney Brother novel.
Interesting things about me? LOL I’m not sure how interesting I am, but I’ll give it a shot!
- I can’t drink water out of a glass; it smells funny.
- My first name is my mother’s mother’s name and my middle name is my father’s father’s name. You can imagine how many times I proudly repeated that as a child.
- I recently went out at 10:30 pm to bury a dead cat in the woods. I had passed it three times on the way out of my neighborhood and it was supposed to rain later. I knew I could not sleep another night with that poor baby laying there. My three teenage daughters are telling me that is not interesting, but weird. 😉
- I once backpacked across Europe with a friend and we ended up on a tiny island off the coast of Palermo which is off the coast of Sicily and we slept in a lemon grove.
- I still sleep with a little pillow that was in my crib when I came home from the hospital. I can not even count five nights in my entire life that I have slept without it. I took it to every sleepover, to college, to Europe, my honeymoon, etc. I do NOT sleep without it. I did once leave it in the bed at a hotel in Vegas and had the hotel overnight it to me, so ‘Baby Nino’ has led an interesting life. 🙂
Can you please tell us more about your McKinney Brothers series?
The McKinneys are a large, close knit family with six brothers and one sister. The series is about family and the things that bind us to those we love and also the things that pull us apart from those same people. Each story deals with family dynamics, their role in the family, and how growing up in the same house does not always mean your perception of life and family is the same. It’s about burning bridges and building them back.
WORTH IT ALL is the third book in the series. Can you tell us more about JT?
Although it is a series, each book is a complete stand alone about one brother. There is some revisiting of past characters because we love them. <3 JT is the youngest McKinney, very much the caboose, being six years younger than his closest sibling and twelve years from his oldest brother. He definitely grew up feeling not quite a part of things. Just when he finally feels like he’s reached a level in sports that would lead to a more even playing field and gain his older brothers’ respect, he loses his leg in a car accident. His guilt over the way it happened, the reason it happened, makes him feel even farther removed from his family. He leaves Virginia shortly after the accident and builds a life for himself in California. His story is about forgiving himself, finding love, and in turn finding his way back home.
What’s your favourite part about writing a series that centers around a family?
I love the interactions between family members and the deep and complicated dynamics that go with it. The way birth order plays such a big part in the rolls children grow up with and the way their relationship develops from childhood to adulthood. And the love. Really it’s all about the love.
What was the biggest obstacle you encountered while writing this book? How did you overcome it?
There were a lot of scenes I saw so clearly it was more than watching a movie, it was as if I was in the same room with the characters. BUT, some of those scenes just didn’t fit into the story. That was really difficult for me and it took me many, many months to accept that and let them go.
What scene was the most fun to write?
I really loved one of JT’s flashback scenes because it was so vivid in my mind. The ones I see the most clearly are always fun to write. And then of course the family scenes. I loved having all the McKinney’s together again and seeing Matt and Abby’s children. Oh, and all the scenes with JT interacting with four year old, Casey. LOVE those!
What’s next for Claudia Connor?
Right now I’m working on Nick and Mia’s story. Nick is the oldest brother of the heroine in Worth the Risk. At nineteen years old, he became the primary caregiver of his two year old sister when their parents died. Readers saw Nick and Mia’s paths cross in Worth The Risk and knew there was something really deep between them. I am SO excited to give them Nick and Mia’s love story, how and why it all fell apart and then of course a second chance at a happily ever after.
After that, I have several stories brewing in my head that I foresee becoming the start to an entire new family series. And also, the other three Walker brothers; Luke, a quietly brooding Army Ranger; Zach, a womanizing firefighter; and Dallas, the missing, undercover cop.
Thank you so much for stopping by today and sharing with our readers!
Thank you again for having me. I hope you’ll check out WORTH IT ALL and please, sign up for my Newsletter to receive exclusive scenes and chapters you won’t get anywhere else. Claudia’s Newsletter
Released: April 19th 2016
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: The McKinney Brothers #3
Published by Loveswept
After a car accident stole his dreams of pro football, JT McKinney has made a new life for himself far away from his old one. He spends his time in a prosthetic research and development facility, his attention on machines instead of people until a chance meeting with a young mother and her five year old daughter who need his help. He'll have to let go of the past if he wants a future.
- Meet our new reviewer team + Blogiversary Giveaway! - May 5, 2021
- Excerpt + Giveaway: On the Wings of War by Hailey Turner - September 3, 2020
- And The Winners Are… - September 2, 2020