This month we took a voyage into the Young Adult genre and read Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Cinder is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles and is something that I personally was really excited to read. Excited, yet nervous, our January read was a bit disappointing and I didn’t want this months to be the same. However, I can now sigh with relief, I read it, I enjoyed it and thankfully so did the rest of the Book Club. Success!
Here are a few of the highlights of the book:
- Although this was a slow burner, a lot of the book was dedicated to building up the intricate and interesting world that Marissa Meyer has created, it left us all longing for more. In fact, quite a few of our club continued reading through the series to see what happened next!
- It contained some bad guys that we all loved to hate! There’s nothing worse than a mediocre villain; however, there was no worries on that score with Cinder, there were a few heinous characters to chose from when it came to the bad guys
- There wasn’t a lot of romance in this book, but there were heavy hints of what was to come, which was just another incentive to read on to the next book.
To join the club, visit our GoodReads Group The League of Lusty Ladies
A reminder of February’s book
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
Average overall rating:
Would we read the next in the series?
So, on to the exciting part, what we are reading next! We set a poll, and this month, as chosen by you we are reading *drumroll*
NO SECOND CHANCE.
Tenley “Ten” Lockwood is an average seventeen-year-old girl…who has spent the past thirteen months locked inside the Prynne Asylum. The reason? Not her obsession with numbers, but her refusal to let her parents choose where she’ll live—after she dies.
There is an eternal truth most of the world has come to accept: Firstlife is merely a dress rehearsal, and real life begins after death.
In the Everlife, two realms are in power: Troika and Myriad, longtime enemies and deadly rivals. Both will do anything to recruit Ten, including sending their top Laborers to lure her to their side. Soon, Ten finds herself on the run, caught in a wild tug-of-war between the two realms who will do anything to win the right to her soul. Who can she trust? And what if the realm she’s drawn to isn’t home to the boy she’s falling for? She just has to stay alive long enough to make a decision…
Remember to join the club, visit our GoodReads Group The League of Lusty Ladies
Latest posts by Under the Covers Book Blog (see all)
- November’s #romanceopolyathon TBR - November 9, 2019
- Interview and Giveaway with Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward - November 8, 2019
- Yuletide Bingo Readathon Announcement - November 6, 2019