PLANNING FOR A BETTER READING YEAR
I have to be honest. 2015 was not a stellar reading year for me. When I was looking back at the books I read at the end of the year I noticed 2015 had the most books rated under 3 stars EVER for me. It also had the most DNF. And other than that there was a lot of just ok with not as much as previous years in the fantastic and OMG you have to get this categories.
So that all has me thinking that now being January I need to really be careful what I pick up and read. Do you ever feel like that? With the amount of books I read in a year (an average of 250 books at least) you would think it shouldn’t matter that much. But I want to make sure what happened last year doesn’t happen again. And lets face it, there are a ton more books being released now than we were used to many years ago so there’s bound to be more mediocre and not so great in there.
What I came up with? I have to plan better and not get myself distracted by what I call “the shiny“. Right, Trish? That’s usually me falling for the buzz I see on the blogosphere without giving it much thought. Or when I get lured in by a hot cover. I must resist!
What I want?
- I have to find the genres that are getting stale and read less of that. One of those is what I consider the run of the mill contemporary romance and new adult. I have my staples of contemporary romance that I always love and I’ll stick to those but the rest, needs to decrease. And new adult. That’s a tough one because there’s few and far between authors that get me to love the books in the genre lately. Will resist the shiny!
- I have to find the authors that haven’t impressed me much lately and take them out of my reading plans. Maybe I’ll consider picking them up again (and some just won’t) but I won’t jump on every new release they have right away and will wait to see what a good amount of people think first. I will control my OCD!
- I want to read all the LGBT romance books that I’ve been recommended that are really amazing. I was looking through my pile of read in the genre and there weren’t enough books that I would consider recommending to someone that wanted to explore it. What a shame! Needs to be rectified this year.
- And I also need to find reads every month that completely cleanse my palate. I don’t mean just changing up sub genres of romance. I mean completely go different and fresh. I already started doing that this month, and in part I did some of that last year. I’ve been getting stuck in the rut of reading lately and it needs to be shaken up.
- I want to read more paranormal. There, I said it. I’ve said it before though, and the sad thing is there’s a lot less good paranormal coming out lately. I haven’t found a lot of new releases that have the same impact on me that the old stuff. But guess what? I have plenty of those older ones on my TBR that I need to discover. They’re new to me and this year I’ll be catching up with some of those great books that have been collecting dust.
- I need to stop getting sucked in by the trends! This is the biggest one, bottom line. That’s where most of my crappy reads came from last year!
- Trust the authors that haven’t disappointed me and put the rest in the back burner.
Who’s with me in planning to have an amazing 2016 reading year?
Now, do you have any recommendations for me?
I want to be wowed this year!