People often ask writers: Where do you get your ideas? It’s both the easiest and the hardest question to answer. The easy answer: everywhere. But if you’re trying to help someone learn how to find their own inspiration for story ideas, that’s where the hard part comes in. I don’t seek out inspiration; it hits me—often when I’m least expecting it. This is why I have to remind myself to take breaks from writing and actually, yanno, live life because I’m not going to get new inspiration sitting in front of my computer.
But in the end, each of my books incorporates little pieces of all kinds of inspiration sources—life experiences, people I’ve met, TV shows or movies I’ve watched, vacations I’ve gone on, news stories, etc. Just this summer, I got an idea for a book inspired by something on the TV show Big Brother. (Which confirms watching trashy reality TV is part of my job, right? Just say yes and make me feel better.) So here are a few inspiration sources for my current series.
Five Things That Sparked Inspiration for the Loving on the Edge Series
- Texas – I grew up in New Orleans so I’m not originally from Texas, but I’ve lived here over ten years now, and I can definitely say that it’s a unique place (in some great ways and some not so great ways.) But when I got the idea for the Loving on the Edge series, I knew I wanted to set it in a place that still had a flavor of outlaw cowboy to it. The heroes in my books have the kind of swagger—big and bold in personality and unapologetic about it.
- A Toadies concert – Going to concerts is one of my most favorite things to do with the hubs. Though we’ve slowed down since having our son, we usually go to 10-12 concerts a year. And years ago we went to see The Toadies, a local Dallas rock band, out in the middle of nowhere Texas. They had the concert at a ranch. And I remember thinking that if you wanted to hide something (a body, a secret business, etc.) you could get it away with it out there. And that’s when I got the idea for The Ranch, the exclusive BDSM resort in my books.
- Tahoe vacation – In this current story, FOREVER STARTS TONIGHT, Jace and Andre take Evangeline to a mountain cabin in Tahoe. This idea came directly from a vacation I took with hubs about eight years ago. We went out to a resort right before ski season was open and the place was empty. We got snowed in (and had no snow tires or chains on the rental car) and ended up spending most of our time playing in the snow or watching movies in our room. One of the best vacations ever. So I thought that’d be a perfect place for this triad to go to get away. Of course, their cabin is way swankier than our digs ever were, lol.
- Social Work – Before I was a writer, I was a social worker. I’ve worked as a therapist with both children and adults. So the way my brain is trained to work when I look at characters is to ask—why are they this way? What makes them act like this? Where do their fears come from? I want to get all up in their messy past to figure it out so that I can give them a story that will make them whole. A writer friend once told me my stories always have the themes of healing and self-acceptance. I hadn’t purposely intended that, but she’s right. And I think that’s directly from my experiences as a social worker. Everyone can use a little healing and self-acceptance—even super hot Texas dominants. 😉
- Tumblr –Sometimes inspiration is deep and thoughtful. Sometimes it’s just looking at really hot pics of beautiful guys on the internet. Need sexy hero inspiration? I go to my Tumblr feed.
Thanks for having me!
So what inspires you ( for some creative pursuit or life in general)?
The wait is over. They fell in love in Melt Into You, but that was only the beginning. Now New York Times bestselling author Roni Loren dials up the passion as three lovers reinvent the meaning of togetherness and find out if love is truly enough…
Two dominant men, one beautiful woman. Jace Austin knows he doesn’t have what you’d call a conventional relationship with Evan and Andre, but it works. Boy, does it work—until Evan starts acting strangely and Andre’s ex-fiancée pops back into his life, unbalancing a perfectly happy threesome. Jace is forced to face the unthinkable: that the two people he cares most about in this world are in danger of slipping away from him.
So Jace plans a surprise getaway to a secluded mountain cabin for the three of them. And he knows exactly what he needs to do: give both his lovers a fantasy week they’ll never forget. And the possibilities for pleasure are endless. But when they get snowed in and the heat between them reaches a fever pitch, secrets come out. And Evan has one that could change all their lives forever.
Jace let his gaze slide over and drink in the view. Andre worked out regularly, keeping in shape for the police department, but it was more than the body that drew Jace’s eye. Jace had never been one to pin himself down with labels, but not until Andre had he ever seen a man as so damn fuckable. This guy had been his best friend for so long. He was his bro in every sense still, his fellow dominant. But there was so much more there now. Once Jace had acknowledged the attraction he’d been ignoring, had seen Andre’s submissive side, there’d been no turning off that desire. The guy made him hard. He made Jace want to do things he’d never craved before. And as Jace’s focus moved over that tanned skin and the trail of dark hair that disappeared beneath the band of Andre’s pants, he suddenly had a laundry list of cravings. He let his eyes close again.
“Or we could wave the white flag, miss another hour of sleep, and get ready for the day,” Jace said, not opening his eyes, a mischievous smile touching his lips.
“What do you mean?”
“Ev was right about that shower. Would be a shame to waste it. And I could use a hot one right now.” He flopped his head to the side to look over at Andre.
Andre’s smile was sardonic. “So you really were looking at porn when I came in.”
“On my computer? No. In my head? It’s always there.” He reached out and slipped his fingers into the waistband of Andre’s pants. “And right now I’m thinking you slicked up with soap and tied down to one of those benches sounds way better than sleep or a cup of coffee. You game?”
“You asking or telling?”
Jace leaned forward, letting his hand slide lower until he gripped Andre’s already half-hard cock in his hand. He gave it a squeeze, knowing the snap of discomfort would put Andre in the right state of mind. “I’m telling. Lose the pants and go get the water warm.”
Andre’s dark eyes flared in the low morning light. “Yes, sir.”
Jace moved his hand away and brushed his lips over Andre’s. “And thank you.”
“For being so good to both of us. You’re an incredible man, Medina.”
Andre tipped his face forward, touching his forehead to Jace’s. “And here I just thought you were letting me hang around because I was such a spectacular fuck.”
Jace grinned. “Well, there’s that, too. Prereq for hanging out with me. But seriously, I’m glad that we’re all in this together.”
Andre leaned back and gave Jace’s thigh a squeeze. “We’ve got this, bro. Whatever happens, we’ve got it.”
Jace nodded, and not for the first time, he thanked the universe for blessing him with not just one but two people who filled him up like this, who made everything feel right. He stood and cocked his head toward the hallway. “Get your ass in the shower and wait for me with a blindfold. I’ll be there in a minute.”
Andre headed that way, and Jace went in the other direction toward the bedroom. The hazy morning light was just peeking through the blinds and Evan was curled under the puffy down comforter, dark hair splayed over the pillow, arms hugging a pillow as if she were missing their presence in the bed. He stood in the doorway, watching her for a long moment, his chest swelling with emotion. He could still remember what she’d looked like when he met her as a teenager. She’d been beautiful then, too, but so lost from having lived such a rough life for a young girl. Those blue eyes had held wariness and hurt. Now she’d grown into this strong woman, this stunning creature who made him laugh, made him think, made him love. And on top of all that, she could match him on the freak scale notch for notch, which was quite a feat.
Which was why, despite the early hours, he climbed into bed behind her, curled his arms around her, and whispered, “Good morning, love. I’m about to fuck your boyfriend in the shower if you want to join us.”
She murmured softly and stirred. “Mmm, am I having that hot dream again about guys playing Drop the Soap in the communal showers?”
He huffed a quiet laugh against the curve of her neck. “Dirty girl. Sorry to wake you so early. But you said last night you wanted to watch. Or you could join in.”
She nestled into him. “Is it weird that I have a fantasy about being a fly on the wall instead of a participant?”
“Not at all. I don’t even have to tell Andre that you’re there. He’ll be blindfolded.”
She groaned. “You guys are getting really good at the wake-up call. Normally, nothing could get me out of bed this early, but you’re pushing my buttons, Jace Austin.”
He gave her neck a soft bite. “Give me five minutes, gorgeous, then you can sneak in.”
BUY “FOREVER STARTS TONIGHT” NOW
CRASH INTO YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
STILL INTO YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
MELT INTO YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
FALL INTO YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
NOT UNTIL YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads
CAUGHT UP IN YOU: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
NEED YOU TONIGHT: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads | Our Review
FOREVER STARTS TONIGHT: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads
NOTHING BETWEEN US: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads
$50 B&N Gift Card
(if international winner is chosen, a $50 Amazon card will be sent instead)
❤ ♡ Don’t want to miss any more posts? Subscribe to this blog by email! ♡ ❤
- Meet our new reviewer team + Blogiversary Giveaway! - May 5, 2021
- Excerpt + Giveaway: On the Wings of War by Hailey Turner - September 3, 2020
- And The Winners Are… - September 2, 2020