I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
by Gena Showalter
Released: July 30, 2013
Published by Harlequin HQN
“Holy demons, KANE IS HOT!” ~Under the Covers
Notes to self about THE DARKEST CRAVING:
- Holy demons, KANE IS HOT!
- The Lords of the Underworld are celebrities in the Fae world. Ha! Loved it!
- The side stories…the side stories!!!! For longtime fans of the series, you’ll get glimpses of full scenes with Torin and Cameo. Not telling you if together or not. 😉
- There’s a lot of William in this book. Did I mention how amazing he is and how much I love him? Even when he’s a backstabbing asshole?
- Yes!!!!! We know who the next book is about! Have you heard? In case you haven’t I won’t spoil. But *squeeeeeeeeee* And there’s plenty of ….THAT PERSON …… in THE DARKEST CRAVING.
- As an added bonus and perfect example of the humor to be found in this book, you have to check out the text exchange between William and Strider that happens during THE DARKEST CRAVING but is not in the book. Click here!
- Did I mention KANE IS HOT?!?
- Must pack rope and duct tape and go hunting for Willy. He escaped my dungeon again.
Yes, sometimes my mind works like a 6 month old puppy, easily distractible. But one thing I can easily say about this book is that I wasn’t expecting much from Kane. He’s always been the Lord I never think of. Yeah, he causes a lot of trouble with his demon being Disaster but in all honesty I never really saw as having much potential to impress me. And then the events in the last book left him in quite a bind, physically and emotionally. In Hell, quite literally.
So who better to be his mate than the beautiful Fae from a Royal family who rescues him. Except Josephina doesn’t have a glamorous life, as you would expect. Her story is quite similar to Cinderella. She’s been treated as less than her sister her whole life, taken the punishment for her sisters’ actions, lived in the servants quarters, you get the picture? Add to that the fact that her stepbrother wants nothing more than to get her in his bed…Yeah Josephina hasn’t had a good life. Which is why she rescues Kane from Hell when she finds him there and makes him promise her than in return he would end her life. Except one little thing gets in the way….MINE!
I loved the introduction of the Fae world and the dynamic of how the Lords interact with them. Especially the fact that the Lords are like rock stars to them. They even have Fan Clubs! LOL And no, sadly Josephina was like me, not a member of the Kane fandom.
Even though Josephina and Kane didn’t rush to get physical, their relationship developed at a good pace and had plenty of sexual tension. I know in the past few books there’s been a lessening of actual smexy time, and sometimes I can feel the lack of it myself. But in my opinion and in this particular story, the pace of the smexy worked. Another complaint commonly seen around the internet about Ms. Showalter’s books as of late is the spiritual undertones, and I have to say that was not the case with this book.
While I enjoyed the story between Josephina and Kane, I was equally excited about seeing more of Torin and Cameo. And that’s probably all I should say except for…Did THAT PERSON really come back? Wow, I didn’t see that coming! The side stories in this book were unexpected and left me anxious to find out more! Anxious for the next book!!
And speaking of anxious, there’s Willy. William is one of the highlights of this book, as he usually is. He comes onto the page and steals the show. But he’s not all fun and games this time, although he does do that. He’s showing a more emotional side, a darker side. There’s a lot he’s building inside and I don’t know if he can wait much longer to tell his story. I think he wants to spill all his secrets soon. And I’m just beyond curious to see what happens with him and Gilly. Are they or aren’t they? Gahhhh!!!!!
And lets not forget Kane’s demon. Disaster was a pain in the ass! I think he’s been the worst and most stubborn demon to tame in the whole series. To the end the ass wouldn’t submit! Argh!
As much as this book answers questions and ties things nicely, it leaves a whole new set of questions open. It does seem like towards the end so much happened and so many things are left stirred that the next few books should be an interesting ride.
What did you think of our review?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment box below!
I get easily distracted by pictures of sexy guys and have tons of book boyfriends.I keep all my alpha males chained to my basement and guard them fiercely.*Back off bitches*I like to see Jason Momoa as a lot of those boyfriends, because ….. mmmmmmm JASON.MOMOA!
I’m a part time graphic designer (yes, everything you see on UTC has been done by me), run my husband's business from home and on a good day I’m a self appointed superwoman (she who can do it all).I love blogging with my girls and I couldn’t do it any other way!My first love is everything paranormal, but in the past few years I’ve re-learned to love contemporary romance.Every once in a while I like to mix things up with a historical romance, a steampunk or an LGBT book.Because I need variety to avoid book slumps.I don’t always need an HEA although I prefer one, and I love authors that can rip my heart out and make me ugly cry.
Latest posts by Francesca (see all)
- ARC Review: Meet Me in Monaco by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb - July 23, 2019
- Review: Becoming the Dark Prince by Kerri Maniscalco - July 23, 2019
- Lifestyle: Bookish / Reading Bullet Journal Flip Thru - July 20, 2019