I received this book for free from Purchased in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Released: May 25, 2010
Series: Downside Ghosts #1
Published by Del Rey
This was a completely different read for me! Yes, it’s urban fantasy, yes there’s ghosts and Chess is somewhat of a ghost hunter, but I was not expecting the storyline to be what it was. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. So I figured the easiest way for me to review this is in a What I liked and What I didn’t format.
What I liked:
- The otherness of the story. Really. I haven’t read anything quite like it. With so many books out there that all feel the same, this one does stand out.
- The names of the characters. I mean, come on, you gotta love a guy named Terrible, Bump, Slobag, Slipknot LOL
- The book was very well written, I enjoyed Ms. Kane’s writing style, even at tough times it seemed to flow.
- Tortured heroine. Chess is a witch working for the The Church of the Real Truth banishing ghosts, and she is a hot mess! Not a character I could relate to, or actually like much, but we slowly start seeing why she’s become the way she is. A product of bad foster homes, not knowing her parents, being used. I think her character was developed well.
- The concept of all religion being a thing of the past and the world now following The Church of Real Truth. I’m quite intrigued by the world building. And I also enjoyed the snippets from the Book of Truth
- The Dream Stealer. Excellent villain.
- Among this whole big mess, someone is trying to kill her with a “spell/magic”. There was certainly no lack of action and intrigue!!
- Terrible was the perfect sidekick in this story. He was supposed to be there to protect her, and that he did in all circumstances.
- The language. Yes, I actually liked that they didn’t speak perfect english because it went perfectly with the story.
What I disliked:
- The heroine’s addiction to drugs. I felt at some point she had to overcome the problem, but that never happened. This was my major problem with the story. How could she be effective at performing her work while all she could think about is popping another pill or snorting a line?
- Some parts were a bit gross and disturbing. Mainly when Terrible got almost eaten alive by a book. Enough said.
- Lex. No, not his character. His character was alright. But did Chess really have to go there? I was annoyed by it, and it felt out of place and unnecessary.
- Then she’s working for a drug lord, well, it’s in her best interest since she seems to have a back debt for the drugs she’s “bought” from him. But she’s most excited about the prospect of some free drugs at the end of the deal. Is this her only concern?? She even admits at one point she wouldn’t have to live in the crappy place she lives in if it wasn’t for her drug habit.
Will I read the next book? Yes, but I’ll have to better time when so I’m a mood to enjoy this story more, at least I won’t be caught off guard again!
Did you like this review? If so, please tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
I’m a 30 something sun lover living in the Big Apple (read New York).I’m a book and coffee addict and lover of all things elephants.
I get easily distracted by pictures of sexy guys and have tons of book boyfriends.I keep all my alpha males chained to my basement and guard them fiercely.*Back off bitches*I like to see Jason Momoa as a lot of those boyfriends, because ….. mmmmmmm JASON.MOMOA!
I’m a part time graphic designer (yes, everything you see on UTC has been done by me), run my husband's business from home and on a good day I’m a self appointed superwoman (she who can do it all).I love blogging with my girls and I couldn’t do it any other way!My first love is everything paranormal, but in the past few years I’ve re-learned to love contemporary romance.Every once in a while I like to mix things up with a historical romance, a steampunk or an LGBT book.Because I need variety to avoid book slumps.I don’t always need an HEA although I prefer one, and I love authors that can rip my heart out and make me ugly cry.
Latest posts by Francesca (see all)