Author Override is the place where authors take the reins and take you on a journey into their world. Some may allow you into their private writing dens. Others may take you along with them on research trips or interviews. Whatever the case may be, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride because here you’ll get an in-depth look into an author’s musings.
~ KAIT BALLENGER ~
Ten Things You May Not Know About Damon Brock
When I first started writing my Execution Underground paranormal romance series, I had a big decision to make. With six supernatural hunters all of varying specialties and backgrounds, I had to choose in what order I was going to write their books, not only based on what would appeal to readers, but what would be beneficial to me as an author. After playing around the characters, discovering their background and generally getting to know them, I knew two things for certain: 1. Werewolf hunter Jace McCannon was going to be the first hunter I wrote about and 2. Vampire hunter Damon Brock, leader of the Rochester division of the Execution Underground (the division which the series focuses on) was going to be last…dead last.
It wasn’t that I disliked Damon’s character; it was that I knew absolutely nothing about him. Jace McCannon, the hero of the first full length novel of the series, Twilight Hunter, is an open personality. Jace has never had difficulty vocalizing his opinions and feelings. He’s by far the most reactionary character of all the hunters, so finding Jace’s narrative voice—a voice which is crass enough to make even the most veteran of sailors blush—was easy as f**k, as he would say. On the other hand, Damon’s character is the least expressive with his emotions. Damon is cold, calculating, and distances himself from everyone and everything, so despite how much the mysteriousness of his character intrigued me, I was dreading (yes, you read that right DREADING) the day I had to write Damon’s book. Naturally, I thought if I placed him as the very last book of the series, by the time I had to write that book several years down the line, I would’ve learned enough about his character to be comfortable with writing from his point-of-view.
Boy, was I wrong. So wrong.
Only a matter of months after I received the initial contract from the series for Harlequin, I received a phone call from my agent, Nicole Resciniti. Harlequin was offering me an amazing opportunity: a chance to be featured in an anthology titled After Dark alongside a Lords of the Underworld novella by New York Times and U.S.A Today Bestselling paranormal romance author, Gena Showalter. For a newbie paranormal author to pass on that sort of opportunity for their career, they’d have to be certifiably insane.
But here was the catch.
Harlequin needed the short 50,000 word novel for the anthology written and polished enough to be on my editor’s desk within exactly one month from that date…and they wanted that short novel to be about the origin of the Rochester division…the prequel story of its founder, Damon Brock.
So amidst the excitement of the amazing opportunity, my constant thought was: “How in the hell am I going to pull this off?” Though I’ll be honest and say the thought was in a little bit more colorful language—Jace and I have a lot of things in common. 😉
Honestly, I still don’t know how I managed it. The time frame of that month goes by in a blur of word counts, pages written, edits, and trying to put the fragmented pieces of Damon’s past together. But somehow, by some form of miracle, Damon’s prequel novel, Shadow Hunter, landed on my editor’s desk in time. Now, in exactly two months on June 25th 2013, Shadow Hunter will be released with Gena’s novella in the After Dark anthology in both trade paperback and e-book formats.
So in anticipation for the upcoming release and blog tour, Under the Covers has given me the opportunity to share with you ten of the hundreds of facts I learned about Damon Brock while writing his novel. Enjoy!
- Damon comes from a long bloodline of supernatural hunters, specifically a long line of vampire hunters a lot like himself. The members of the Execution Underground, an international covert organization that works to protect humanity sometimes at the cost of their own members lives, isn’t exactly known for having loads of hunters who settle down, marry a nice woman, and start a big happy family. But Damon’s family is one of the few exceptions. The lineage of his family as hunters dates back to pre-Medieval times, long before the organization now known as the Execution Underground even had a name. Being a hunter is in Damon’s blood and it’s what he was made for.
- The sword Damon uses during major battles with the undead is not just any ol’ sword. It’s been passed down in his family for generations. Let’s just say the use of Excalibur didn’t die with King Arthur.
- Damon drives a Beamer, specifically a sleek, gun-metal colored Z-4.
- Unlike the other hunters in the E.U, Damon doesn’t drink. Not a single drop. Why, you may ask. Well, Damon is a teeny bit of a control freak and can’t stand the thought of anything potentially weakening his razor sharp senses.
- Damon likes classical music. So while his outward appearance may leave you thinking that he’d never listen to anything so sweet and romantic, think again. After a long night spent slaying the nasty bloodsuckers plaguing the streets of Rochester, Damon washes himself clean of blood while enjoying some nice Bach or Chopin. Yes, he’s that kind of killer.
- Though he now calls Rochester his home, Damon was born and raised in the city that never sleeps, New York.
- He’s a clean freak. You’d think a guy who spends a good portion of his day drenched in the guts and blood of vampires wouldn’t be the most cleanly person around, but Damon’s apartment is virtually spotless. You’ll never find even a speck of dust on his mantle.
- Damon’s favorite food is any type of pasta. Spaghetti, pesto, alfredo, lasagna, you name it. He’ll devour any type of pasta you set in front of him, and he’s not half bad at cooking his favorite dishes for himself either.
- Damon hates sushi. Seafood: okay. Sushi: no way he’s eating any fish that’s not cooked. Unfortunately for him, Tiffany Solow, the heroine of Shadow Hunter, absolutely LOVES any and all sushi.
- The most important fact I have to share about Damon with you is this: Damon has a secret, a deep dark secret that leaves the blood of an ally on his hands, and no matter how hard he tries to chase his demons away, his guilt keeps coming back to bite him. ‘What exactly did he do?’ you ask. Well, you’ll just have to read Shadow Hunter to find out.
Thanks to the lovely ladies of Under the Covers for allowing me to guest post on their site! I look forward to being back again during the Shadow Hunter Blog Tour!
A timeless seduction A unique temptation And a whole world of dark desires…
Vampire hunter Damon Brock’s first assignment with the Execution Underground is Rochester, New York, a city crawling with the undead. But he isn’t the only hunter in town gunning for vamp blood. Tiffany Solow is fierce and ruthless when it comes to slaying the monsters that destroyed her family-and she works solo. But being alone is no longer so desirable when she meets the mysterious hunter who wants more than just her turf. As they work to massacre the local covens, the line between good and evil blurs when they are forced to decide between their lifelong beliefs… and their newfound hearts.
Available June 25, 2013
About the Author:
Kait Ballenger is a full-time paranormal romance author, wife, bellydancer, graduate student, and soon-to-be-professor. She is the multi-published, award-winning author of the Execution Underground paranormal romance series. With a B.A in English from Stetson University, Kait is currently earning an M.F.A in Writing. Kait believes anything is possible with hard work and dedication. One day, she hopes to be a bestseller and to see her novels on the big screen. Look for the next two books in her page-turning Execution Underground series: Twilight Hunter, book one (August 2013) and Immortal Hunter, book two (January 2014). For more information, please visit www.kaitballenger.com or follow her on Twitter @kait_ballenger.